A working mom shares tips on green living

Over the past few years, I have been trying to educate myself on healthy eating and living habits that are beneficial to my immediate family and also have a positive impact on our environment.

Now, many of my close friends are busy moms and dads, work full time, and are overcommitted at home and/or at work. On the other hand, they are also responsible parents who want the best for their families, and would like to have a positive impact on their environment… as long as it’s not ‘too inconvenient’.

If you know me, I am also all of the above! So, I’d like to take a step in the right direction by starting this blog to share tips on green living – these could include topics as varied as healthy eating, green cleaning, recycling, composting, or any other eco-friendly activities.

The tips I share here are by no means original – you may have already incorporated them in your own lifestyle, or know someone who has… my goal is to gradually include healthier and environmentally more responsible habits in our lives – one change at a time – perhaps its my long experience as a software implementer that makes me want to ‘projectize’ every aspect of my life, or the firm belief that small, gradual changes can add up to make a big difference… and honestly, its just less daunting to make small changes, instead of trying to do it all at one time!

Every tip I share with you here will be something I have researched, and incorporated in my own life. I will also share resources where you can find more information.

I would love to get your feedback, and welcome any eco friendly tips that you may have used and would like to share …

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Green Tip #3: Green Clean your Living Areas and Laundry Room

This is continuing from my earlier post - Green Tip #2: Green Clean your Kitchen and Bathroom, so I'll keep it short!

Living Areas:
Carpeted Floors:
Regular vacuuming should keep carpeted floors free of dust and toxins. I've used traditional chemical deodorizers in the past, but have switched to sprinkling baking soda on the carpet before vacuuming, and it works great!

Non-wood floors: Clorox Dilutable Cleaner

Wood floors:
I'm still using traditional wood floor cleaners for this. I read that you can use diluted white vinegar to clean wood floors, but I'm afraid that will strip the wood. If anyone has a better alternative, let's hear it!

Deodorizers:
I air out the house by opening windows whenever possible (in Pennsylvania, that's at least 3 out of 4 seasons), and use baking soda on carpets, in the pantry, closets and the refrigerator as a deodorizer.
Traditional deodorizers contain synthetic fragrances can cause skin irritation, discoloration, rashes or allergic reactions (see Green Tip #2: Green Clean your Kitchen and Bathroom). I have switched to using essential oils in diffusers - they last a lot longer since they are in concentrated form, and smell a lot nicer too.

Upholstery:
Even before I switched to "green cleaning" products, I never used harsh chemicals on upholstery. Regular vacuuming usually takes care of removing dust particles.

Stain Removal:
Still looking for a natural and effective stain removal product for carpets and upholstery - would love to hear from you if you know of one!

Here's a side benefit of switching to non-toxic cleaners: Kids can help with the cleaning too! My girls have helped me with dusting and picking up the house in the past, but I would be paranoid about letting them handle traditional toxic cleaning products. Don't have to worry about that any more! OK, so maybe they're not so thrilled about this particular benefit :-)

Laundry:
Look for laundry detergent that does not contain phosphates, chlorine, petroleum products or synthetic dyes. I bought small containers of Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent and fabric softener at the grocery store (remember these products are typically 20-40% more expensive in grocery stores). Once I had tried them and was satisfied, I switched to buying in bulk online, which proved to be much more cost effective.

Many manufacturers of green cleaning products like Clorox GreenWorks, Method and Seventh Generation offer coupons on their websites, so look out for those as well.

Using cold water to do your laundry can also translate into big savings in energy bills and lower carbon emissions. We use warm (not hot) water to wash the kids' clothes, since they tend to get dirtier, but wash everything else in cold water.

Another quick note on laundry:
When I first read about putting laundry out in the sun to dry instead of using a clothes dryer, I said, "Whoa, there is no way I will have time to do that!" And yet, growing up in India, it was the only way we knew to dry laundry. To this day, my mom washes clothes in a washing machine, and puts them out to dry in the sun. Given the abundant amount of free solar energy in India, it certainly makes sense! Its still too cool here in PA to put the laundry out to dry, but I'm thinking about setting myself a modest goal this summer of drying our clothes out in the sun one day a week - let's see if I'm able to sustain it :-)
Y'all down in Texas and Georgia in the land of abundant sunshine, is this something you would consider doing? Maybe doing already? Let us know!

Coming up next: Save some green - switch to CFL's!

2 comments:

Push said...

Turmeric stains disappear if you dry your clothes outdoor in the bright sunlight. If you dry these stained clothes in a dryer you set the stain instead of getting rid of it. : )

nalini said...

Natural Detergent great for children's clothes or yours:

On your next trip to India buy Ritha from Nav Danya(NGO doing amazing work in the field of organic farming and environment issues) or you can also source from the high end store Good Earth which has it natural lavender oil scented . But for FDA and customs regulations I would love to source it from India and bring it to the US in bulk.